Salsa-Style Corn Fusilli Salad
Fresh and sweet-tart, this Mexican inspired salad with its light, tropical and citrus flavors pairs beautifully with delicate grilled shrimp or other mild seafood. This recipe doubles as an amazing burger topper – simply omit the pasta!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Want a reason to eat fresh? Discover 6 Reasons to Eat Seasonal & Local all year long!
- 2 cups corn fusilli pasta
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile pepper, finely chopped (seeded, if desired)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 19-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water to remove sticky starches; drain well and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add tomato, jalapeño, onion and mango. Pit, peel and finely chop avocado. (TIP: Prep and add avocado last to prevent it from browning.) Immediately add lime juice and toss.
- Add pasta and beans to bowl with vegetables and toss to combine. Add oil, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix gently. Enjoy at room temperature or chill in fridge for about 1 hour.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 254
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 77 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g