Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Twice As Nice
This “cheesecake” and our Grain-Free Whoopie Pies feature almonds in lieu of heavy grains. This Paleo-friendly substitute provides structural stability for the cheesecake’s crust and the cake portion of the pies and adds a hefty dose of protein to each serving: A quarter cup of almond flour, for instance, has 6 grams of this muscle-building macro, compared to around 3 grams for regular white flour.
- Prepare sauce: To a blender, add dates, coconut oil, honey, almond butter, lucuma powder (if using), vanilla and salt plus 2 tbsp date soaking liquid; blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare crust: To a food processor, add almonds, dates, coconut and salt; process until mixture holds together (it should be sticky). Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan; press firmly, making sure edges are well packed and the base is even throughout.
- Prepare filling: To a high-speed blender or food processor, add cashews, coconut oil, honey, orange juice and vanilla seeds; process on high until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour filling mixture into crust and smooth top with a spatula. Using a spoon, drizzle caramel sauce over filling. (Note: You’ll use about half the amount of caramel sauce; cover and refrigerate the rest for serving). Use the tip of a paring knife to swirl caramel sauce into filling. Place cheesecake in freezer until solid, about 4 hours. Once frozen, cover with foil to protect from freezer burn.
- To serve, let cheesecake thaw on the counter at least 1 hour. Once thawed, keep in fridge until ready to serve. Before releasing the springform ring, run a knife between cake and sides of the pan. Serve cheesecake on its own or with reserved date caramel sauce. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
- Serving Size 1/12 of cake
- Calories 516
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 35 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 15 g
- Sodium Content 66 mg
- Sugar Content 37 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g