Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add panko, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/8 tsp salt and cook, stirring often, until panko is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and add orange zest; stir to combine and set aside.
- In same skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high; add tomatoes, pepper flakes, remaining 1/2 tsp thyme and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft and juicy, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in orange juice and remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on high. Reduce heat to medium-high, add rapini, cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a wire mesh strainer, slotted spoon or tongs, remove rapini from pot and transfer to a strainer to drain excess water. In same pot of boiling water, raise heat to high and add spaghetti. Cook spaghetti al dente according to package directions.
- About 1 minute before spaghetti is done, ladle 1/2 cup cooking water into a heat-proof glass and set aside. Drain spaghetti and return to empty pot. Add drained rapini, tomato mixture, sardines and 1/4 cup reserved cooking water. Place pot on low and stir gently until ingredients are combined and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add additional cooking water to moisten as needed. Divide spaghetti among serving bowls and top with panko mixture, almonds and chives.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 530
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 395 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g