Sausage, Egg & Cheddar Breakfast Sandwiches
This cleaned-up version of the fast-food favorite is made with lean ground turkey and served in whole-grain English muffins. The best part is they freeze well, so make a batch and store in your freezer for a grab-and-go breakfast. Feel free to add baby spinach or tomato slices to the sandwich – but add it just before or after reheating. Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more breakfast recipes.
- 10 large egg whites or 11/4 cups liquid egg whites
- ¼ tsp sea salt, divided
- 12 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 thin slices sharp cheddar cheese (about 4½ oz total)
- 6 whole-grain English muffins, split
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist 6 wells of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large liquid measure, whisk egg whites and 1/8 tsp salt until frothy. Pour into wells, dividing evenly. Bake until centers are set, about 20 minutes. Remove egg rounds from pan. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together turkey, maple syrup, sage, thyme, garlic, pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Shape into six 3½- inch-wide patties; arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165˚F when inserted in centers, about 15 minutes.
- Arrange 1 oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high. Transfer baking sheet to upper rack; broil until patties are browned, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Place 1 slice cheese on bottom half of each English muffin. Top each with 1 egg round and 1 sausage patty; sandwich with top halves of English muffins. Wrap each in foil and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat in the oven, thaw completely in the refrigerator if frozen, then heat at 350°F (with foil still on) until heated through, about 25 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave from frozen: remove foil, wrap in paper towels and transfer to a plate. Microwave on defrost setting (30% power) for 2 minutes. Flip sandwich; microwave on high until heated through, about 1½ minutes.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 354
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4.5 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 589 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g