Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add sausages, onion and 1⁄2 tsp pepper flakes and sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add 2 cloves garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened, about 1 minute. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat oil on medium. Add mushrooms and sauté until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add remaining 1⁄2 tsp pepper flakes and 2 cloves garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add 1 cup kale and sauté for 2 minutes; repeat with remaining kale, adding in 1-cup increments and cooking for 2 minutes between each addition.
- Divide sausages and pepper mixture among rolls or buns and top each with 1⁄4 cup kale mixture. Serve remaining kale mixture on the side, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1 sausage & pepper hero and 1/4 of kale mixture
- Calories 403
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 556 mg
- Sugar Content 12.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g