COST PER PLATE: $2.35
TOTAL COST: $9.41
Find more French toast recipes here!
New to poaching eggs? Learn how easily poach here.
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp organic unsalted butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (TIP: Substitute with 1/2 tsp dried thyme.)
- 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp whole-wheat flour
- 1¼ cups whole milk, divided
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole-grain caraway rye bread
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, pepper flakes and 1/8 tsp salt and transfer mixture to a bowl. To skillet, add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ½ cup milk and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir into mushroom mixture; cover to keep warm. Wipe out skillet.
- In a large baking dish, whisk together 3 eggs, black pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 3/4 cup milk. Arrange bread in a single layer in baking dish, turning to coat. In skillet on medium-high, melt remaining 2 tsp butter. Working in batches, add bread and cook, turning once, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a wide, shallow saucepan with 2 inches water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. In a small bowl, break 1 egg and gently slip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover, turn off heat and let stand for 3 minutes, or until desired doneness. Divide toast among plates. Top with mushroom mixture, poached eggs and parsley.
- Serving Size: 2 slices toast, 1 egg, ¼ of sauce
- Calories: 408
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Cholesterol Content: 346 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 707 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g