Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
COST PER PLATE: $2.35
TOTAL COST: $9.41
Find more French toast recipes here!
New to poaching eggs? Learn how easily poach here.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, pepper flakes and 1/8 tsp salt and transfer mixture to a bowl. To skillet, add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ½ cup milk and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir into mushroom mixture; cover to keep warm. Wipe out skillet.
- In a large baking dish, whisk together 3 eggs, black pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 3/4 cup milk. Arrange bread in a single layer in baking dish, turning to coat. In skillet on medium-high, melt remaining 2 tsp butter. Working in batches, add bread and cook, turning once, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a wide, shallow saucepan with 2 inches water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. In a small bowl, break 1 egg and gently slip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover, turn off heat and let stand for 3 minutes, or until desired doneness. Divide toast among plates. Top with mushroom mixture, poached eggs and parsley.
- Serving Size 2 slices toast, 1 egg, ¼ of sauce
- Calories 408
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 346 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 707 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g