Savory Lemon Rosemary Blueberry Bread
Eating a slice of this bread may actually improve your health. Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and oats are known to lower your cholesterol levels. So you can enjoy it guilt free.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tbsp lemon zest plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (not thawed)
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted walnuts
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a food processor or blender, blend oats to the consistency of flour; set aside 2 tsp oat flour. (NOTE: If following our 2-week Meal Plan, grind extra oat flour for use in the Roasted Rosemary & Thyme Pork Tenderloin with Green Bean Casserole.) In a large bowl, mix remaining oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil, honey and lemon juice. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Toss reserved 2 tsp oat flour with blueberries. Fold blueberries, walnuts, rosemary and lemon zest into batter, stirring gently.
- Line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let loaf cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 24.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 39 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 338 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g