Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
There’s no better food to fuel you when you’re working up a sweat or getting active outdoors than trail mix. After all, it’s made for hitting trails and heading out on hikes. But we’ve come up with something that’s just as hunger-satiating and super satisfying when you’re seeking something crunchy: Savory Trail Mix Popcorn.
This easy snack comes together in the oven. A drizzle of olive oil infused with both sweet and savory extras – like honey, garlic, oregano, and paprika – lends this trail mix popcorn plenty of variety in its flavor. Plus, we’ve mixed in some nutritional yeast to lend a “cheesiness” too. Never tried nutritional yeast before? It’s a cousin of brewer’s and baking yeast, heated, dried, and sifted to make a powder. But beyond infusing a pop of flavor into various recipes, it’s also a complete protein. Just 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast delivers 5 grams of protein and all nine essential amino acids. It’s also generally free of gluten, soy, sugar, eggs and dairy (just make sure to check the label).
For more recipes that are great grab-and-go snacks you can carry anywhere, try:
Savory Trail Mix Popcorn
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and honey. In a cup, mix together the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika and oregano.
- In a large bowl, combine the popcorn, pecans, sunflower seeds and cheddar crackers. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss again. Spread onto the baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted and nearly dried, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool, tossing every few minutes.
- When the mixture is completely cool, toss in the apple chips. Portion into bowls and serve, or transfer to an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size ⅙ of recipe
- Calories 307
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 211 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g