If you hear the word “kelp” and automatically flash on seaweed salad, there’s a whole new world for you to discover. Sure, the superfood is jammed with fiber, omega-3s and essential amino acids, but it’s also wildly versatile, as these Sea Pesto Crostini show.
We’ve taken the basil that makes up traditional pesto and swapped it for dried kelp instead. Kelp isn’t just nutrient-dense; it’s also a highly sustainable food, which makes it a great eco-savvy addition to any diet. And, as you’ll discover in this recipe, it’s also delicious.
Here, kelp sits atop crostinis (which loosely translates to “little crusts” in Italian), which make the perfect appetizer or side dish to share during lunch or dinner. They’re easy to bake, make for simple cleanup, and can be made with so many different varieties. Plus, you can serve crostinis on their own or pair them with dips and snack spreads.
For example, in this recipe, optional ingredients include radishes, peas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, vegan cheese and toasted nuts. You can mix and match, as all of these additions go great with the seaweed pesto.
Tips for crostini baking
- Choose a good bread – use artisan baguettes.
- Using a serrated knife, slice your bread diagonally for more space for toppings.
- Baked crostini will be done when they’re golden on top and sound hollow when tapping on a plate.
- You can also grill your crostini so you get a smokey, charred flavor.
Sea Pesto Crostini
- To make the pesto: Place kelp in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Roughly chop.
- Place the kelp, basil, almonds, garlic, lemon zest and juice, chile flakes, salt and pepper in a food processor and purée for 60 seconds until smooth, scraping down occasionally. Drizzle in olive oil and water while blending.
- To make the crostini: Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange baguette slices on two large rimmed baking sheets; brush both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Top crostini with pesto and any desired toppings.
- Serving Size 1/8
- Calories 215
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 247 mg
- Sugar Content 0.4 g