Omega Superstar: The thick, creamy texture is not the only reason this chowder satisfies: It provides 27 grams, or 55%, of your daily value of protein. Although shrimp and scallops aren’t often touted as sources of heart-healthy omega-3 fats, they pack over 4 grams into each serving. You’ll also meet 73% of your daily value of vitamin A, which is important for healthy vision and fending off viral infections.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, chopped (TIP: To reduce the heat, remove the seeds.)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb Russet potatoes, chopped (peeled, optional)
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup milk (NOTE: Not nonfat.)
- 3/4 lb sea scallops
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot on medium. Add onion, carrots and celery; season with salt and black pepper and cook until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add jalapeño, paprika and thyme and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add 3 cups water, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce to a simmer until just tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add corn and milk; season with salt (¼ tsp minimum) and black pepper, and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour 3 cups corn mixture into a blender, removing plastic stopper from blender lid and covering opening loosely with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape; purée. Transfer purée back to pot, stir to combine and return to medium heat; bring to a simmer.
- Add scallops to pot and simmer for 3 minutes (time should begin when liquid returns to simmer). Add shrimp and simmer for 2 minutes or until shellfish are opaque in center. Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with scallions.
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
- Calories: 337
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 93 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 272 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g