Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Omega Superstar: The thick, creamy texture is not the only reason this chowder satisfies: It provides 27 grams, or 55%, of your daily value of protein. Although shrimp and scallops aren’t often touted as sources of heart-healthy omega-3 fats, they pack over 4 grams into each serving. You’ll also meet 73% of your daily value of vitamin A, which is important for healthy vision and fending off viral infections.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot on medium. Add onion, carrots and celery; season with salt and black pepper and cook until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add jalapeño, paprika and thyme and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add 3 cups water, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce to a simmer until just tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add corn and milk; season with salt (¼ tsp minimum) and black pepper, and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour 3 cups corn mixture into a blender, removing plastic stopper from blender lid and covering opening loosely with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape; purée. Transfer purée back to pot, stir to combine and return to medium heat; bring to a simmer.
- Add scallops to pot and simmer for 3 minutes (time should begin when liquid returns to simmer). Add shrimp and simmer for 2 minutes or until shellfish are opaque in center. Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with scallions.
- Serving Size 1 3/4 cups
- Calories 337
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 93 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 272 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g