Seared Scallops & Fennel Salad
Wonderfully fresh and tender scallops are served on a bed of fennel and lettuce with a sweet and tart grapefruit dressing. If your budget allows, buy high-quality, dry-packed scallops, which are not packed in a phosphate preservative solution.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE $3.83
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds, freshly ground in a spice grinder (yields about 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp ground) (NOTE: You can also purchase ground fennel, but we suggest grinding your own as it tends to be more flavorful.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 12 fresh sea scallops (about 1 lb), muscle removed, room temperature
- 1/2 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3/4 head red leaf lettuce, cored and torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 12 whole almonds, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
- Working over a bowl to catch the juices, peel then segment the grapefruit. Strain grapefruit juice into a cup
- Prepare dressing: Transfer 3 tbsp juice to a small bowl and whisk in 2 tsp oil, 2 tsp water, honey, ⅛ tsp ground fennel, ⅛ tsp salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, pat scallops dry on all sides. Season scallops evenly with remaining 1/2 tsp ground fennel and remaining 1/8 tsp salt
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet on medium and brush with remaining 1 tsp oil. Cook half of the scallops for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway, until just slightly firm when touched and very lightly golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining scallops.
- Set aside 1 tbsp dressing. In a large bowl, toss fennel and lettuce with remaining dressing. Divide fennel salad among serving plates. Top each salad with grapefruit segments and cooked scallops. Drizzle reserved dressing over scallops and top with almonds.
- Serving Size 1/4 of salad
- Calories 175
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 591 mg
- Sugar Content 8.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g