Nutritional Bonus: Low in saturated fat, radicchio is an excellent source of vitamin K and a good source of vitamin C, vitamin E, folate and copper.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large head radicchio, quartered lengthwise, root intact
- 1 red onion, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 lb), patted dry
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry, optional
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat a grill pan on medium. Mist radicchio and red onion with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to grill and cook, turning once, until tender and lightly charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and drizzle with vinegar. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Meanwhile, mist scallops with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine sesame seeds and tapioca. Press scallops into mixture, turning to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium and mist with cooking spray. Working in batches, add scallops and cook, turning once, until golden and crispy on the outside and opaque throughout, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine broth, soy sauce, sherry (if desired), ginger, oil and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in green onions. Divide scallops, radicchio and onion among serving plates. Spoon sauce overtop of scallops.
- Serving Size: 4 sesame-crusted scallops and 1/4 of vegetables
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 98 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g