- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 tbsp each black and white sesame seeds + additional for garnish
- 4 4-oz boneless skin-on wild Alaskan salmon fillets (such as coho or sockeye; 1 inch thick), patted dry
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp grape seed oil
- 2 tsp fuikake or toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 small carrots, cut into ribbons (TIP: Use a vegetable peeler to cut the carrots lengthwise into ribbons.)
- 1 Persian, Japanese or other variety of small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced (TIP: If slicing in advance, place in citrus juice to avoid browning.)
- 1 green onion, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp drained jarred pickled sushi ginger
- 12 pieces of roasted seaweed snack, for serving (or substitute for nori sheets cut into 2-inch squares, optional
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1. In a saucepan, combine rice, ¼ tsp salt and enough water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, spread black and white sesame seeds on a plate; set aside. Mist flesh side of fish with cooking spray; sprinkle with pepper and remaining ½tsp salt. Gently press flesh side of fish into sesame seeds.
3. In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat oil. Add fish, skin side up, and cook until golden brown, about 3minutes. Turn and cook until skin is crispy and flesh is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large plate; peel off and discard skin. Cover to keep warm; set aside.
4. Whisk together all soy drizzle ingredients.
5. Divide rice among bowls; sprinkle with furikake. Top with carrots, cucumber, avocado, onion, pickled ginger, seaweed (if using) and fish, dividing evenly. Drizzle with soy mixture. Garnish with additional black and white sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 487
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Sodium Content: 641 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 7 g