Enjoy a taste of the sweet life with Cooking Channel host David Rocco's simply delicious recipe for sesame tuna, so easy to make you'll hardly believe how delightfully flavorful the final product turns out!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 10 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional oil as needed
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 tbsp sesame seeds
- 24 oz skinless, sushi-grade tuna fillets (TRY: ahi tuna)
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine carrots, mint, orange juice, salt, 1/4 cup oil and pepper flakes, if desired. Mix well and marinate at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes.
- On a large plate, spread sesame seeds. Season tuna with salt and black pepper, to taste. Press both sides of each tuna fillet into sesame seeds.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on high. Add tuna fillet and cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 2 minutes to desired doneness. (NOTE: The USDA recommends cooking tuna to an internal temperature of 145˚F.) Repeat with remaining fillets, adding additional oil if needed. Let tuna cool slightly; then slice.
- To serve, divide carrot mixture among serving plates and top with tuna slices. Drizzle with additional oil to taste.
- Serving Size 1 tuna fillet and 1/2 cup carrot mixture
- Calories 267
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 83 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 158 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g