This clean and healthy sesame shrimp recipe is perfect for a hearty lunch or light dinner.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peeled and minced ginger, divided
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp sesame oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy, thinly sliced (about 6½ cups)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 5 radishes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- To a medium bowl, add shrimp, soy sauce, 2 tbsp ginger, vinegar, 3 tsp sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic and black pepper. Set aside to marinate at least 10 minutes and no longer than 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, heat remaining 1 tsp sesame oil. Add 1 clove garlic and quinoa and toast for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. During final 10 minutes of simmering, add edamame. Remove saucepan from heat and keep covered.
- In a large sauté pan on medium, heat olive oil. Add leeks, remaining 2 tbsp ginger and remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add bok choy, carrot and radishes; sauté for 3 minutes more. Add shrimp and marinade from bowl; sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until shrimp is opaque throughout. Stir in arrowroot powder and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in sesame seeds.
- To serve, spoon 1 cup quinoa-edamame mixture onto a plate and top with 1¼ cups shrimp and vegetables.
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cups shrimp and vegetables and 1 cup quinoa
- Calories 438
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 159 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 516 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g