Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Quick to cook, filled with fresh ingredients and chock-full of key nutrients, these Sesame Turnip Noodles with Broccoli & Mushrooms are kind of hard to top. If you’ve been eating increasingly more plant-based meals, you’ve got to give this recipe a taste – it’ll become a favorite in your regular rotation.
How did we get such a deliciously flavorful and totally creamy sauce in our Sesame Turnip Noodles without adding in any dairy? Distilled from the sap of the coconut blossom, coconut aminos is an umami-rich sauce with a slightly sweet finishing note. Gluten-free and vegan, it’s an excellent, Whole30-compliant alternative to soy sauce. You can reach for coconut aminos to enhance the flavor in other vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free recipes like Baked Beans on Toast or a Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry. Coconut aminos also make a great stand-in if you’re whipping up a DIY Worcestershire sauce.
Plus, this vegan pasta is easy to customize. Instead of using turnip noodles, you can sub in your favorite veggie. Just pick one that’s suitable for spiralizing! Most spiral makers have a blade to make fettucine-shaped noodles, but you can use standard spaghetti-shaped noodles if you don’t have one or are using smaller vegetables. We like using:
- Carrot noodles
- Sweet potato noodles
- Zucchini noodles
Or, if you want to change it up, you can also use traditional spaghetti in place of veggie noodles. Another great option? Combine both spaghetti and spiralized veggies for a 50-50 mix. The options are endless!
Sesame Turnip Noodles with Broccoli & Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place 2 large baking sheets in oven. In a large bowl, toss mushrooms, broccoli, 3 tbsp avocado oil, ½ tsp salt and pepper. Spread on sheets and roast until vegetables are lightly roasted, stirring once or twice, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, secure turnips in a spiralizer using the fettuccini blade and turn crank to create noodles, according to manufacturer’s directions. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add noodles, season with remaining ½ tsp salt and cook for 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup water, letting it cook off while gently tossing noodles with tongs, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp avocado oil; reduce heat to medium. Add white/light green parts of onions and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add broth, almond butter, coconut aminos, vinegar and hot sauce (if using). Stir briskly until well combined and warmed. Remove from heat. Stir in more broth to thin, if necessary. Stir in sesame oil. Add turnip noodles back to skillet and gently toss to coat. Divide among bowls, top with broccoli mixture and garnish with dark parts of green onions.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 528
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 43 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 631 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 26 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 10 g