Seven-Layer Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
This recipe yields a generous amount of dressing – either toss the desired amount of dressing to coat the salad lightly right before serving, or serve the dressing alongside so your guests can dress it themselves. Or, you can go the route that many traditionalists take in the Midwest – they pour on enough dressing to lightly coat the salad (we suggest using about half of the dressing) and set it in the fridge to allow the dressing to trickle down and coat the veggies.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more big leafy salads here!
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 3 to 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 to 6 oz all-natural turkey bacon, no added nitrates or nitrites, cooked and finely chopped
Blue cheese dressing
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled into small piece
- 1 cup kefir or buttermilk
- 1 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, optional
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare dressing: In a medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk well or pulse in a food processor.
- In a clear glass bowl, layer salad ingredients in the order they appear above. Concentrate ingredients around the perimeter of the bowl, filling the center with romaine.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss just before serving (you may have extra dressing), or leave the layers intact and serve dressing in a bowl on the side.
- Serving Size 1/6 salad with 1/2 of dressing
- Calories 377
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 139 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 9.5 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 477 mg
- Sugar Content 6.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g