Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Onions contain flavonoids, powerful antioxidants that are actually more concentrated in the outer layers of the flesh. So, be careful when peeling onions and leave as much of the exterior as possible – over-peeling can cause the flavonoids to dip by more than 20%.
Look for prepared pizza dough at your local grocery store or whip up your own with our CE Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough recipe.
Video: Cooking with Onions
Try not to cry! Watch as Chef Jo explains the different kinds of onions you find in the supermarket and how best to use them.
- Lightly mist a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough into bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425 F. Arrange fennel on a parchment-lined baking tray. Mist with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast fennel for 15 minutes, until light golden brown. Set aside until cool enough to handle and slice any remaining large pieces into strips.
- Mist a 17 x 11-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Place dough ball on a floured surface and punch into a flattened disk. Roll dough into a rectangle about 1 inch longer and wider than rimmed baking sheet (dough will shrink slightly). Carefully transfer dough to sheet. Brush top of dough with oil. In a small bowl, toss shallots with lemon juice.
- Onto dough, evenly layer half of mozzarella, fennel, shallots, chicken and olives, then remaining half of mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on bottom third of oven for 25 minutes, until pizza is golden brown. Remove from oven and cut into 16 pieces. Sprinkle with chervil and dill.
- Serving Size 2 slices flatbread
- Calories 324
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6.5 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 346 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g