Shanghai-Style Noodles with Beef, Snow Peas & Broccoli
Pair beef sirloin, sweet oranges with savory soy sauce and hearty broccoli alongside elegantly slim snow peas.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
One of the core concepts of Asian cuisine calls for embracing a complementary yin-and-yang contrast between flavors and textures. We’ve showcased that balance in this inspired meal by pairing sweet oranges with savory soy sauce and playing hearty broccoli alongside elegantly slim snow peas.
- 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- 5 crowns broccoli, florets only
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb beef sirloin strips, cut into ½-inch-thick, 2-inch-long pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 lb snow peas, rinsed well and trimmed
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add spaghetti, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking. Add broccoli and cook for 5 more minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Cover loosely to keep warm and set aside
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk orange zest and juice, soy sauce, pepper flakes and ginger; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add peas and orange juice mixture and stir to coat. Sauté for 3 minutes, until beef is cooked through.
- Add beef mixture to spaghetti mixture and toss to combine. Divide among serving plates. If desired, garnish with additional pepper flakes.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 379
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g