Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Make dough: Line a 10 x 14-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together milk, yeast and honey. Let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, butter and vanilla. Stir in all-purpose flour, almond flour and arrowroot to make a smooth dough. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
2. Dust work surface with more all-purpose flour. Roll out dough into a 12 x 20-inch rectangle, dusting with more flour as needed and using a bench scraper to make sure underside isn’t sticking to work surface.
3. Make filling: In a small bowl, stir sugar with cinnamon. Using your fingers, rub in room-temperature butter until mixture has a sandy texture. Stir in water. Spread evenly over dough.
4. Using a pizza cutter or sharp chef’s knife, cut dough in half lengthwise, then cut into thirds crosswise to make 6 equal pieces. Using bench scraper to help support dough, roll up each piece into a log. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut each into 4 pieces to make 24 buns total. Transfer buns, cut sides down, to prepared baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise while oven preheats to 350°F.
5. Uncover buns and brush with melted butter. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make yogurt drizzle: In a small bowl, stir together drizzle ingredients. Drizzle over warm buns.
TIP: This delicate dough can be a bit fragile, so the bench scraper can help keep it from tearing as you manipulate it. But even if it tears, that’s OK — just patch it back together and keep rolling. The buns will turn out just fine.
MAKE AHEAD: Make and bake up to 1 day in advance; cover and refrigerate. Reheat at 250°F just before serving. Top with drizzle.
- Serving Size 2 buns
- Calories 191
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 19 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g