- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads, optional
- 1/3 cup dried seaweed salad mix, crumbled (TRY: SeaVegi Seaweed Salad Mix; alternatively substitute with wakame or dulse, adjust soaking time as needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grained brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup boxed, jarred or BPA-free canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine wine and saffron
(if using); set aside.
2. Place seaweed in a bowl and cover with 1 cup cold water. Set aside for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, discarding liquid. If any seaweed pieces are still overly large, chop into smaller pieces.
3. Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
4. Add wine mixture; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until almost no liquid remains, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, paprika, black pepper and salt. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake until rice is almost
tender and no liquid remains,
about 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven; uncover.
5. Sprinkle seaweed over rice mixture and gently combine. Nestle shrimp evenly over top. Cover and bake until shrimp are pink and opaque throughout and rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Drizzle with vinegar, stirring to distribute. Sprinkle with seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 311
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 120 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 315 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g