Makes: 4 bowls or 8 cups
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 1½ pounds medium raw domestic shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup sweet sherry
- In a blender or food processor, purée the cashews and water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a heavy dry pan, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery over medium heat until the carrot is tender. If the ingredients begin to stick, add water, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Add the stock, shrimp, salt, and pepper to the pan, and heat until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Pour the entire mixture into a blender or food processor and purée with the cashew cream until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back in the pan, add the sherry, and heat through. Make sure to subtly pour extra into your own bowl. It’s so good, there will be no leftovers.
Excerpted from Seagan Eating: The Lure of a Healthy, Sustainable Seafood + Vegan Diet by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. © 2016 by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. TarcherPerigee, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.