Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Love jambalaya? Try this foil-packet recipe too!
- In a very large (12- to 14-inch) ovenproof skillet on medium, heat oil. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add celery and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, green beans, corn, fennel, thyme, paprika, salt and cayenne, scraping up any browned bits in skillet. Stir in rice and bring to a boil on high. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is almost all absorbed, about 35 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, arrange oven rack 6 to 7 inches from top heat source and preheat broiler to high.
- Arrange shrimp on top of jambalaya, nestling them in, and sprinkle with panko. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook until shrimp is cooked through, about 4 minutes. (Be careful – the skillet will be very hot.)
- Serving Size 1/4 cup
- Calories 407
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 108 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 498 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g