Nutritional Bonus: Go for ground when consuming flaxseeds – otherwise, your body can’t access their precious nutrients, such as plant lignans, lying within their crunchy shell. Lignans are antioxidants that help shield your blood vessels from inflammatory damage.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray (TIP: When misting a piping-hot skillet as in this recipe, use an oil mister instead of a pressurized container.)
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Arrange 1 oven rack in middle and 1 rack in highest position. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on middle rack and heat oven to 450ºF. Heat skillet for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine flour, flaxseeds, 1 cup water and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Remove skillet from oven and mist with cooking spray. Add flour mixture to skillet, carefully tilting as needed to completely cover bottom. Return to middle oven rack and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, heat butter on medium. Add shallot and sauté, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook, turning once, until just opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and add wine. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until liquid evaporates.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and heat broiler on high. Top crust with tomatoes, shrimp mixture and Parmesan. Transfer to top rack and broil until browned and edges are crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and slice into 8 wedges.
- Serving Size: 2 wedges
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 189 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 455 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g