Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. In a medium pot on high heat, bring both barley and broth to a boil. Cover and let simmer on low to medium heat, so liquid doesn’t boil over. Set timer and cook for 50 minutes.
2. In a nonstick skillet, sauté shallots and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add spinach and lightly sauté for about 3 minutes, until bright green.
3. At 50 minutes check on barley. When there is no more remaining broth, add shrimp and pepper to barley; turn to medium heat if not already. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add shallot-mushroom mixture, sage and salt to barley. Stir and cook 5 to 10 minutes. Best if enjoyed within 4 to 5 days in fridge, or store for 6 months in freezer.
- Serving Size 1½-cup serving
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 85 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 310 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g