Shrimp & Vegetable Paella with Saffron
Impress your family and friends with this colorful, veggie-packed dish – they’ll never know it took only 20 minutes of work!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt, ground black pepper and smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed saffron threads, optional (TIP: You can purchase whole threads and crush them yourself.)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Transfer to a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker along with zucchini, tomatoes, broth and rice. Stir in bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika, saffron (if using) and turmeric. Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Gently stir in shrimp and peas. Cover and continue to cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes, until shrimp are opaque throughout.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 346
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 115 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g