Makes: 4 liters
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 4 to 5 hours
- 4 lb raw chicken bones
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 8 to 10 whole black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 1 inch, about 6 liters. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 3 to 4 hours, skimming stock often with a ladle to remove any foam (fat or protein from the bones) that rises to the surface.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over top of a separate large stockpot or bowl and strain stock through sieve, discarding solids. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled. With a spoon, scrape off any solid fat from the surface and discard. Transfer to a re-sealable container, allowing extra space for liquid to expand.