Chef Jo shares all you need to know about this flaky white fish, plus a recipe for tender cod cooked in parchment.
Video: How to Fillet a Fish
Fillet and debone your own fish! Chef Jo takes you from whole fish to two perfect fillets and the makings of a killer fish stock.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 6-oz boneless, skinless Alaskan Pacific cod fillets
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh sprigs of dill
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange a large piece of parchment paper on a flat work surface.
- Add 1 fillet to the center of 1 half of parchment and season with salt and black pepper. Top with half each of leek, carrot, bell pepper, celery, lemon juice and dill.
- Fold parchment over top of fillet to make a bundle and fold in edges to seal.
- Repeat with a separate large piece of parchment paper and remaining fillet.
- Transfer wrapped fillets to a large baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until opaque throughout.
- Serving Size: 6-oz piece of cod in parchment with vegetables
- Calories: 201
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4.5 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Sodium Content: 262 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g