Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large cast iron skillet on medium-high, heat one-quarter of oil. Sprinkle chicken with one- half of each salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook until lightly browned on bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and carefully add water and cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. (TIP: If your skillet doesn’t come with a lid, fit a piece of foil around it. It helps to do this before your skillet is hot.) Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until chicken reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer and is no longer pink inside, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer chicken to a board and wipe out skillet. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks. Cover to keep warm.
- Return skillet to heat on medium; add one-half oil. Add carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add leeks and remaining one-half of each salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until leeks are softened and carrots are very soft, 5 to 7 minutes more. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 to 45 seconds. Add broth, whisking, and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low for 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and peas and cook, stirring frequently, until spinach wilts slightly, 1 minute. Add tarragon, cream and reserved chicken, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- Scrunch each sheet of phyllo and arrange over chicken mixture. Brush with remaining one-quarter of oil. Bake until pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 309
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 67 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 332 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g