The More Buckwheat, The Better: Soba (aka buckwheat) noodles often contain some refined flour to keep the dough from falling apart, so always check the label on the package to ensure you are buying noodles made with 100% buckwheat flour.
1. In a large deep skillet, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add noodles and simmer for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Toss with 1 tsp oil and set aside.
2. In same skillet on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Sprinkle chicken with five-spice powder. Add to skillet and cook, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board.
3. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in skillet. Add carrot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, soy sauce and mirin and bring to a simmer. Add bok choy and peas and simmer until peas are heated through and bok choy is wilted, about 1 minute.
4. Using 2 forks, shred chicken and return to skillet. Return noodles to skillet. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Divide among bowls; garnish with green onions.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 564 mg
- Sugar Content 5.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g