Skillet Spanish Chicken & Rice
Use your own canned tomatoes (or your favorite boxed variety) to make this bone-warming Spanish chicken and rice skillet, a breeze at just 20 minutes of prep!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 to 5 oz each)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 qt jar homemade canned tomatoes with liquid (or 1 pint jar homemade canned tomatoes with liquid plus 3/4 cup water)
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup pitted and sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (1 oz)
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Season chicken on both sides with salt and black pepper. Transfer to skillet and sauté until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add garlic and onion to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add rice and stir until lightly toasted and combined with vegetables.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, chile powder and cumin to skillet and stir to combine. Using the edge of a wooden spoon, break apart any larger tomato pieces. (If rice is not covered by tomato liquid, add an additional 1/4 cup water.) Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Place chicken on top of tomato-rice mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit on stovetop, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add olives and cilantro to chicken-rice mixture and toss and fluff with a fork (if desired, remove chicken to ease stirring, then return to skillet). To serve, sprinkle queso fresco over top of chicken-rice mixture and divide evenly among serving plates.
- Serving Size 1 cup rice mixture and 1 Spanish chicken breast
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 80 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 390 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g