Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Health Benefit: Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, which protects the surface of the eye and prevents ocular degeneration. Vitamin A is also one of many nutrients that contribute to the growth of strong hair and healthy skin.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a 9-inch ovenproof cast-iron skillet on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Add leek and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Using a clean tea towel or several layers of paper towel, wring out liquid from sweet potato. Repeat, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Discard liquid. Add sweet potato to leek; stir in green onion, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
3. In same skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 4 tsp oil. Add sweet potato mixture, patting down with a spatula to evenly flatten top. Cook, checking the bottom occasionally to ensure even cooking and a golden crust, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Transfer skillet to center rack of oven and bake until sweet potato is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Move skillet to top rack and turn to broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until top is light golden. Using 2 large spatulas, transfer latke to a cutting board; slice into 8 wedges.
5. If making topping, top each wedge with ricotta, lemon zest and dill.
- Serving Size ⅛ of recipe
- Calories 91
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 24 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 146 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g