Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: To make this recipe gluten-free, swap a frozen gluten-free pie crust for the phyllo dough. Thaw crust, fill with spinach mixture, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until filling is set and crust is golden. If you want a top crust, try this simple alternative to a lattice topping: Thaw a second crust and roll out into a thin layer. Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough into thin triangles. Transfer triangles to top of filled pie, placing the point of each triangle in the center, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using your hands, press out as much water as possible from spinach by squeezing in large piece of linen or a lint-free kitchen towel. In a large bowl, mix together spinach, leek, feta, eggs, dill, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 sheet of phyllo dough, pressing dough into bottom edges of dish. Brush with oil. Place another sheet of phyllo dough into pan off-center, allowing dough to extend past edge of pan by about 2 inches. Brush with oil. Rotate dish slightly; place another sheet of dough to cover another section of dish, allowing it to extend past edge of pan by about 2 inches. Brush with oil. Repeat with 3 more sheets of phyllo dough. Press dough gently down into pan.
- Spoon in spinach mixture. Fold overhanging dough up over spinach mixture. Tear remaining phyllo sheet in half and arrange halves over top of pie, crimping and folding to cover. (NOTE: In our version, we left the center open to leave the filling visible, but you can choose to cover the whole top if you prefer.) Brush with oil.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 705 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g