Makes: 48 cookies.
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes.
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes (includes chilling time)
- 2 cups almond meal or flour
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each ground cardamom
- and allspice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup powdered stevia
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine almond meal, spelt flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and salt; set aside. With a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat stevia, oil, egg, egg white, zest and vanilla on low until stevia is moistened, about 15 seconds. Increase speed to high and mix until well combined, about 15 seconds more (stevia will not be dissolved). Add dry ingredients and mix on low until dough has just pulled together, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Divide dough in half. Pile 1 half onto a piece of parchment. Using parchment to help shape the dough, form dough into a log 11 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap parchment around log and twist ends to secure. Repeat with remaining dough half. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
To Bake:Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Unwrap 1 log of dough at a time and cut dough into ¼-inch slices; set them 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake 2 sheets at a time until cookies are light golden on bottoms and around edges, about 10 minutes, rotating and swapping position of sheets halfway. Cool completely. Keep for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freezing Tip: Unbaked logs of cookie dough may be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month. To bake from frozen, increase the baking time by 2 minutes.
Gift Giving: Wrap these slice-and-bake dough logs in parchment, cellophane and decorative paper, tying the ends with ribbon or raffia. Attach a tag with storage information and baking instructions.
Super Spelt: Sweet and nutty spelt flour is often a good choice for those with wheat intolerances or allergies, as its protein is easier to digest than that in the whole-wheat variety.
Nutrients per serving (1 cookie): Calories: 84, Total Fat: 5.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 7 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 0.5 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 13 mg, Cholesterol: 4 mg