Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- Place chickpeas in a large saucepan and add water to cover by about 3 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add water, if needed, to keep chickpeas covered. Drain and rinse.
- Place chickpeas, rutabaga, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a 5- to 7-qt slow cooker, then add 5 cups water. Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours. About 30 to 45 minutes before chickpea mixture is done cooking, add curry and chile powders and stir to combine. Add about half of greens and replace lid for 5 minutes, until wilted. Then add remaining greens and continue cooking for remaining time or until chickpeas are tender. (The finished dish should be slightly soupy; if excess water remains, remove it with a ladle to reach desired consistency.) Stir in 1 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 3 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes. Serve chickpeas over rice and top with red peppers, yogurt and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side (if using).
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture, 3/4 cup rice, 3/4 tbsp red peppers, 2 tbsp yogurt
- Calories 307
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g