- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 7 to 8 cupsServings
- 3 cups dry beans, picked over and rinsed (NOTE: If using kidney or cannellini beans, first cook in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes; drain, rinse and follow recipe as directed.)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped, optional
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp sea salt
1. Place beans in a 3- to 6-qt slow cooker. If using, add onion and garlic. Stir in bay leaf and salt. Add enough cold water to cover beans by 2 inches. Cover and cook on low until beans are plump and tender, 5 to 9 hours (see chart below for cook times).
2. Discard bay leaf. Drain bean mixture in a colander and rinse under cold water. Let cool completely. Refrigerate in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.