Make Your Own Chicken Broth
Reader Recipe Tester: Zan Raynor Rogers, Arkansas "A year-and-a-half ago, I was waddling around the block to get a little exercise. Now I jog three miles a day. Last winter I wore a size 34 and now I shop for a size 10. I've been dieting all my life and nothing ever stuck, but changing my lifestyle to include clean-eating food choices and exercise has truly given me my life back."
Find more slow cooker chicken recipes here.
- 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
- Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup chicken barley stew without sour cream
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Cholesterol Content: 40 mg
- Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 240 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g