Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Make Your Own Chicken Broth
Reader Recipe Tester: Zan Raynor Rogers, Arkansas “A year-and-a-half ago, I was waddling around the block to get a little exercise. Now I jog three miles a day. Last winter I wore a size 34 and now I shop for a size 10. I’ve been dieting all my life and nothing ever stuck, but changing my lifestyle to include clean-eating food choices and exercise has truly given me my life back.”
Find more slow cooker chicken recipes here.
- Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
- Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 cup chicken barley stew without sour cream
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 2.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 240 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g