Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Stew
Get out your crock pot and try the easy, clean and comforting slow cooker chicken barley stew that helped one of our readers shed 200 pounds!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Make Your Own Chicken Broth
Reader Recipe Tester: Zan Raynor Rogers, Arkansas “A year-and-a-half ago, I was waddling around the block to get a little exercise. Now I jog three miles a day. Last winter I wore a size 34 and now I shop for a size 10. I’ve been dieting all my life and nothing ever stuck, but changing my lifestyle to include clean-eating food choices and exercise has truly given me my life back.”
Find more slow cooker chicken recipes here.
- 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
- Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 cup chicken barley stew without sour cream
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 2.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 240 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g