Serve with Spiced Roasted Cauliflower.
Image and recipe from Cuisine at Home.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1½ tsp each minced garlic and fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can crushed unsalted tomatoes (TRY: Eden Organic Crushed Tomatoes No Salt Added)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp each minced garlic and ginger
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and garam masala
- 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Prepare marinade: In a large bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Pierce chicken in several places, then transfer to bowl with marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat broiler and arrange oven rack 6 to 8 inches from the element. Transfer chicken to a broiler pan and discard marinade. Broil chicken 8 minutes on flesh side. Remove chicken from broiler and place in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Prepare sauce: In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and cook until just beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Add 2 tsp garam masala, 1½ tsp each garlic and ginger and serrano; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Transfer mixture to slow cooker; stir to coat.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 3 hours. Transfer chicken to a serving platter; set aside. Whisk cream into sauce; season with salt and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serving Size: 2 thighs with sauce
- Calories: 574
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 331 mg
- Fat Content: 29 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 61 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 425 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g