- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each chile powder, ground cumin and sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 4 whole-grain buns, split and toasted (for serving open-faced; or 8 buns if you want to serve on full buns)
- 7 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 4 Anaheim chile peppers
- 1 large shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- 2 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Prepare salsa: Preheat broiler to high and arrange oven rack 6 inches from heat source. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. Arrange tomatillos and chile peppers in a single layer on prepared sheet. Broil, turning once, until softened and slightly charred, about 10 minutes.
2. Transfer chile peppers to a large heat-proof bowl; cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes. Gently peel off skins and cut peppers in half; remove seeds and white pith. Discard skins, seeds and pith. Roughly chop peppers. (TIP: Wear gloves when handling chile peppers to avoid irritation.)
3. Meanwhile, transfer tomatillos to a blender or food processor; add shallot, cilantro, garlic and salt. Blend until smooth. Add chile peppers and blend until just combined.
4. In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add tomatillo mixture and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
5. Prepare chicken: In a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker, combine chicken, garlic, chile powder, cumin, salt, chipotle chile powder, black pepper and ½ cup salsa verde; stir to coat. Transfer remaining salsa verde to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until needed. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.
6. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a separate large bowl. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Return to slow cooker; stir to coat.
7. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat reserved salsa verde on low, stirring occasionally, until warm. Divide chicken mixture among bun halves. Top with desired toppings and salsa verde, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1 open-faced sandwich
- Calories: 256
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 83 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Sodium Content: 653 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g