You save 473 calories, 35 g total fat, 33 g sugars, 2,941 mg sodium over traditional pulled pork sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, combine chile powder, cumin, black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Rub all over pork. Mist a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add pork and cook without moving until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn pork and repeat until all sides are browned. Transfer to slow cooker. Add 1 cup water, cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, or until meat easily separates from the bone and internal temperature reaches 145°F on an instant read thermometer. Let pork rest in slow cooker, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- While pork rests, prepare sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk tomato sauce and potato starch until smooth. Add 3/4 cup vinegar, Sucanat, Worcestershire, onion powder, mustard powder, paprika, cayenne (if using) and remaining 1/4 tsp salt; whisk to combine. Turn heat on stove top to high and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking frequently, until flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Prepare coleslaw: In a large bowl, stir together lemon zest, yogurt, honey, poppy seeds and remaining 2 tbsp vinegar until combined. Place grated carrot and zucchini on two layers of paper towel (or use a clean kitchen towel) and press down firmly with additional paper towels to absorb as much water as possible. Transfer to bowl with yogurt mixture. Add cabbage and stir until combined.
- Transfer pork to a work surface and shred pork with 2 forks, discarding any fat. Transfer to a large serving bowl, add about three-quarters of the sauce and toss well with tongs. Add additional sauce, to taste, or reserve for another use. Add 3/4 cup pork and about 1/2 cup coleslaw to each bun.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 401
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 77 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 551 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g