Nutritional Bonus: A 4-oz serving of lean beef pot roast provides 32% of your daily need for vitamin B12 and 24% of B6. Your body requires these water-soluble nutrients to control the levels of homocysteine in the blood which, when elevated, are associated with a higher risk of heart attack and stroke.
- In a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker, add beef, broth, 1 cup water and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, turning once, until beef is tender and pulls apart easily when tested with a fork. During final 30 minutes of cooking, add leeks, submerging in broth.
- Remove beef and transfer to a large bowl; let rest until slightly cooled, about 5 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred beef into small pieces. Return beef to slow cooker, stirring to coat in broth. Season with salt and pepper, cover and heat until warmed through.
- Preheat broiler to high. Place buns on a baking sheet, cut side up, and transfer to top oven rack, about 8 inches from broiler. Toast until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. (TIP: Do not leave buns unattended under broiler.) With a slotted spoon, divide beef and leek mixture among bun bottoms. Top with arugula, dividing evenly, and sandwich with bun tops. Serve beef broth jus on the side for dipping.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 351
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 73 mg
- Fat Content 7.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 416 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g