Smoked Salmon “Bagel” Salad with Lemon Chive Buttermilk Dressing
All the flavors of your favorite deli bagel — in salad form! With the dressing, croutons and eggs made in advance, this satisfying meal is ready in less time than a lunch run.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- ⅓ cup full-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tsp lemon zest + 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped fresh chives and dill
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 whole-grain bagel (plain or sesame), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 romaine hearts, leaves torn (about 5 cups)
- ½ English cucumber, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion, optional
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 10 oz smoked salmon, cut into ½-inch pieces or rolled up
- everything bagel spice mix, optional
1. Prepare dressing: In a bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients.
2. Prepare salad: Preheat oven to 325ºF; line a baking sheet with parchment. In a small bowl, toss bagel pieces with oil and salt. On prepared baking sheet, spread bagel pieces in a single layer; bake until golden and crunchy, stirring once or twice, about 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, to a saucepan, add eggs; cover with cool water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil then remove from heat; cover and let stand 7 minutes. Drain eggs and let cool.
4. Peel eggs; slice in half. To a large bowl, add lettuce, cucumber and onion (if using). Just before serving, toss with 3 tbsp dressing, adding more as desired. Top salad with croutons, eggs, capers and salmon. Sprinkle with spice mix (if using).
MAKE AHEAD: Make recipe through Step 3. Store dressing, prepared salad components and eggs separately in the refrigerator. Store bagel pieces in an airtight container at room temperature. Complete Step 4 just before serving
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 245
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 205 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 678 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g