Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
World’s Healthiest Taco
Tacos don’t get much healthier than this vegetarian variation! Its star ingredient, cauliflower, a cruciferous vegetable, is low in carbs, fibrous, and rich in folate and vitamins C, E and K – this means it’ll keep you full on a limited number of calories while still packing a hefty nutritional punch. Don’t skip the crema – it’s made with avocado, famously nutritious and rich in heart-healthy fats.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Preheat a greased grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower florets with one- half of oil until well coated. Add paprika, cayenne and one- half of salt; toss to coat. Rub corn with remaining one-half of oil. Grill cauliflower and corn, turning occasionally until softened and lightly charred, 12 to 16 minutes. (TIP: If your barbecue grates are widely spaced, use a grilling basket to prevent cauliflower from falling through.)
- Meanwhile, in a small blender, combine sour cream, one-half of avocado, lime juice and remaining one-half of salt; blend until smooth.
- Place tortillas on grill and cook, flipping once, until softened and lightly charred, 20 seconds per side. Wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. (NOTE: Do not overcook tortillas or you’ll end up with chips.)
- Remove corn kernels from the cob using a sharp knife. Transfer cauliflower from grill to a bowl and immediately top with cheese. Cover dish to create steam and help melt cheese. Thinly slice remaining one-half of avocado. Divide cauliflower and corn among tortillas. Top each taco with avocado slices, corn kernels, avocado crema and cilantro (if using).
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 325
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 348 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g