Health Benefit: Avocados are a great source of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that help to ward off eye conditions such as macular degeneration.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups chopped)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided + additional for drizzling
- ½ tsp each smoked paprika and ground cumin
- 3/8 tsp sea salt, divided
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion, divided
- 1 tsp seeded and finely diced jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- ½ small avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato with 1 tsp oil, paprika, cumin and 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper; spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until potato is softened, 15 to 18 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set on medium-high and bring to a boil. Boil 2½ to 3 minutes. Remove eggs and transfer to a bowl of cold water; peel when cool enough to handle. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
3. In a small bowl, combine tomato, 2 tbsp onion, jalapeño, 1 tbsp lime juice and 1/8 tsp salt. Toss to combine. In a separate small bowl, toss avocado with remaining 1 tbsp lime juice.
4. In a medium skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Add remaining 2 tbsp onion and cook, stirring frequently until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans and remaining 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Divide cooked potato between 2 bowls. Add half of beans to each bowl, half of chopped avocado and half of salsa. If using, top each with half of cheese and cilantro. Slice eggs in half and place 1 on top of each bowl. Drizzle each bowl with additional oil (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 498
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Cholesterol Content: 199 mg
- Fat Content: 22.5 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 597 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g