- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 28 oz boxed, jarred or BPA-free canned unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads (TRY: Frontier Co-op Organic Saffron Threads)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb boneless, skinless sole fillets, patted dry and roughly chopped
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup whole milk, divided
- 1 tbsp drained and chopped capers
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1.Prepare broth: In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add leeks, fennel, salt and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Increase heat to high and add wine; bring to a simmer. Add tomatoes, broth, saffron and thyme; return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs.
3. Meanwhile, prepare dumplings: In a food processor, pulse together fish, egg and egg white, ¼ cup milk, capers, salt and pepper until mixture begins to come together, about 10 seconds. With motor running, slowly add remaining ¼ cup milk through feed tube and pulse until a thick, sticky paste forms, 15 to 20 seconds.
4. Bring a separate large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Shape fish mixture by 1 tbsp into balls. Working in batches, drop balls into boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, until opaque throughout. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
5. Divide broth mixture among bowls. Add dumplings, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 296
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 93 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 711 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g