Sole & Summer Vegetable Parchment Packets
Cooking lean fish in parchment packets is a great way to keep the moisture (and flavor) in, so you can say goodbye to dry, overcooked fillets. Sole fillets are thin, flat and firm, which means they roll up easily into all-in-one bundles.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more easy parchment packet recipes here!
- 1/4 cup organic unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 lb boneless, skinless sole fillets, cut into 8 pieces and patted dry (TIP:CE recommends purchasing Pacific-caught sole.)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2-inch-long matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-inch-long matchsticks
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch-long matchsticks
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. In a small bowl, stir together butter, shallot, 2 tbsp chives, lemon zest, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, prepare rice according to package directions, adding 1 tbsp butter mixture to saucepan along with rice.
- Meanwhile, spread remaining butter mixture all over fish. Arrange 4 15-inch-long sheets of parchment paper on a work surface with long end closest to you. Pile 1 cup spinach in center of 1 sheet. Arrange 2 fish fillets, side by side, vertically in center of spinach. Lay one-quarter each of zucchini, carrot and bell pepper crosswise over fish. Roll both fish fillets upwards over vegetables to form a bundle. Arrange, seam side down, in center of parchment. Fold in long sides, then short sides of parchment, pressing edges as you fold to form a package.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to create a total of 4 packets. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, spinach is bright green and vegetables are tender-crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Divide rice among plates. Carefully open parchment packets. Using a slotted spoon, divide spinach and fish among plates, pouring any juices from packets over top. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp chives.
- Serving Size 1 packet and 1/4 of rice
- Calories 361
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 87 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 540 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g