Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Up to 1 month in advance, make stuffing and refrigerate (or freeze). Tear bread into ¾-inch pieces (you should have about 12 cups) and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Let stand uncovered at room temperature for 2 days.
2. In a large sauté pan on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, until browned and cooked through, 8 minutes. Place in a large bowl and add stale bread.
3. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in same pan on medium. Add onion, celery and poultry seasoning and sauté until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and
bring to a simmer, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan. Pour vegetable mixture over bread and sausage. Add walnuts and parsley and mix well. Add additional broth, if needed, to moisten stuffing.
4. Cool completely and transfer to a large airtight container or zip-top freezer bags. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. (If the dressing is frozen, 2 days before baking, place it in the refrigerator to thaw, stirring occasionally so it thaws evenly.)
5. 3 to 4 hours before serving, cook stuffing: Mist a slow cooker with cooking spray and add stuffing. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. (Alternatively, place stuffing in an oven-safe baking dish 35 minutes before serving. Bake in a 425°F oven, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until crispy on top, 15 minutes.) Sprinkle with pomegranate arils before serving.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 231
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 34 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 410 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g